Edge Outlast Riptide in Double Overtime

Edge Outlast Riptide in Double Overtime

St. John's, NL – It was a tightly contested match-up in Saint John, NB on Sunday afternoon as the Edge pulled out the 105-101 victory over the Saint John Riptide in double overtime.

The Edge were coming off a win over the Island Storm on Friday night, with this game set as the last stop on their gruelling 6-game road trip in Atlantic Canada.

From the start of the first quarter, it seemed as though the Edge were digging deep to battle in this game. The Riptide took full advantage of an Edge squad who were playing their 6th game in just 9 days. Saint John would hold a 4-point lead after the first quarter, but the Edge would turn it on in the second, led by some solid inside play by Glen 'Big Baby' Davis and some sharp-shooting by Jared Nickens off the bench. With some consistent play late in the quarter, the Edge would hold the Riptide lead to where it was after the first at just four going into the break.

As the teams returned from the half, St. John's were determined to climb their way back into this one. Glen 'Big Baby' Davis would go perfect from the field and from the free-throw line in the quarter to propel the Edge to a 4-point advantage going into the fourth. The Edge would build their biggest lead of the afternoon, going up by as much as 11 at one point. However, a late burst of energy by the Riptide would lead to them tying up the contest late in the fourth and sending it to overtime.

In the first overtime, both teams would trade buckets back and forth with neither team building more than a one-possession lead. The Edge would make a huge stop underneath the basket with just a second remaining to send the game into a second overtime all knotted up at 95. The Second overtime was again back and forth with the Riptide grabbing the lead early. A Maurice Jones Sr. jumper, a defensive stop, and a Dez Lee free-throw would make it a 3-point game with under 2 minutes to play. Again, the Riptide would respond to bring the game within one-point. On the next play Jones Sr. would force the turnover and recover the ball, where the Edge would feed it to the sharp-shooting Jared Nickens would put this one to bed by a final score of 105-101.

On the afternoon, this game would see 11 lead changes and 8 ties at different points. The Edge would knock down 15 three-point attempts on the night while shooting 36-for-93 from the field good for just 38.7% shooting. The team would capitalize on 19 Riptide turnovers, scoring 21 points when the ball changed hands.

Another big game for Glen 'Big Baby' Davis as he led the Edge in scoring putting up 24 points in the win. The Edge also had 5 players in double figures, with three players, Junior Cadougan (13 points,10 assists), Dez Lee (19 points, 10 rebounds), and Obie Oleka (10 points, 13 rebounds) recording double-doubles. St. John's would also get a huge game out of Jared Nickens who dropped 23 points on 7-of-15 shooting from three-point range.

The Saint John Riptide were buoyed by Frank Bartley who scored 29 points in the double overtime loss on Sunday.

Your St. John's Edge now set their sights on returning to the Capital City, as they conclude their 6-game road trip going 5-1. The attention will now shift to the London Lightning as they come to Mile One Centre on January 19th and 20th for the first time since the Divisional Finals match-up in last years playoffs. Fans can purchase tickets by calling 576-7657, at the Mile One Centre box office, or by visiting mileonecentre.com.