Edge Get Hard Fought Overtime Win Against Island Storm

Edge Get Hard Fought Overtime Win Against Island Storm

St. John's, NL – The St. John's Edge faced the Island Storm in an overtime thriller Thursday night at the Eastlink Centre in Charlottetown, PEI. The game was back and forth throughout, with the Edge pulling ahead late on the back of a Junior Cadougan layup to take the win by a score of 115-113. 

It was a tough start for the Edge as the Island Storm got out to an early lead. The Edge would battle back to get within a single possession, but a very quiet 8-0 run for the Storm would force St. John's to call a timeout. Out of the timeout, the Edge would put together a run of their own, draining 3 consecutive three-pointers capped off by newcomer Isaiah Tate II. With one quarter down, the Edge would trail 30-27. 

Into the second the game would become more of a back and forth contest with both teams exchanging the lead early. The Edge would shoot the ball well from all over the floor in the second, with a healthy 8 point contribution down low from Glen 'Big Baby' Davis. The match-up of Davis and Sampson Carter was a battle as both would be trying to figure out how to stop the other throughout most of the game. Late in the quarter, it was Diego Kapelan who would hit a big three to keep this one within a possession going into the break (56-54 Storm Lead at Half). 

Coming out of the halftime the Edge looked to keep shooting the ball well from three-point range as they shot 10-for-17, good for 58.8% from beyond the arc in the first half. Much of the Edge offence in this quarter would run through Glen Davis who dropped 10 points on 4-for-4 shooting from the field. The Island Storm would keep up their consistent defence forcing a handful of Edge turnovers and converting on open opportunities to force the Edge to play tough throughout. A last-second-falling away layup by Isaiah Tate II would tie the game at 80 going into the final 12 minutes of play. 

With 12 minutes left in this one, the Edge would get the upper hand early converting on free-throws and continuing the sharp shooting from three-point land. As the quarter progressed to the later stages, the Island Storm would regain the lead and keep the Edge offence at bay. With the score 100-98 for the Storm, Glen Davis would find Olu Ashalu underneath for a bucket through contact to tie the game at triple-digits. After former Edge forward Guillaume Boucard hit two free-throws, the Edge would get the ball to Junior Cadougan on a drive to draw the foul. He would hit both free-throws and send this one to an extra frame. 

In overtime, reigning MVP Carl English would step-up and score 6 of his 14 points on the night to buoy the St. John's offence. With the Edge up by 3 with around 20 seconds left, the Storm would get a gratuitous bounce off the rim and tie the game. After the Edge called a timeout, they looked to non-other than Junior Cadougan to close this one. With 3 seconds left on the clock, Cadougan drove through the lane and dropped the tough layup to give the Edge the 115-113 win. 

On the night the Edge shot an impressive 50% from the field (40-for-80) and 50% from three-point range (14-for-28), they would out-rebound the Storm 53-39. Offensively the Edge were led once again by Glen 'Big Baby' Davis who dropped a game-high 29 points and pulled down 10 rebounds in this one. Diego Kapelan scored 17 points on 5-for-7 shooting from three-point land. Obie Oleka would pick up another double-double to add to his totals in this one scoring 11 points and ripping down 13 rebounds. Carl English would round out the offence with 14 points, 6 of which were scored in overtime. 

For the Island Storm, they were led by Sampson Carter who dropped 23 points in the overtime loss. 

The St. John's Edge now travel to Halifax, NS to battle with the Hurricanes on Sunday afternoon, game time is scheduled for 2:30 PM NLT and can be watched live by signing up on www.nblclive.ca.

Media Inquiries

Noah Anderson
St. John's Edge